Mental Toughness – Get Unbeatable!

vanity

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

I don’t consider myself a particularly vain person. I don’t show off and I don’t spend time in the mirror. Lately though, thanks to SEALfit, I have been getting in really good shape. I still don’t show off, but I noticed an increase in mirror time. It bothers me a bit but it’s also somewhat rewarding. Not a character trait I want to start training. Any suggesting on nipping this in the bud before it gets ingrained?

Coach Mel
    Keymaster

Self confidence is a great thing and if you are feeling better about yourself then good for you. We all take extra time in front of the mirror with say a new hair cut, pair of pants, and bathing suit. It’s pretty natural to be checking out how your physique is changing but if you find you are obsessing or taking too many selfies:) Check yourself and remind yourself to enjoy your internal rewards of strength and fitness.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

I’m not at the selfie level thankfully! Since posting this originally, I have focused on my family and my why, neither of which is relevant to my looks.

Looking good, feeling good, aught to be in Hollywood! Thanks for your response!

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

I agree with Coach Mel! One of my college coaches once told me that there is a fine line between cockiness and confidence, if you can walk that line without crossing it then you can be dangerous in life. If your ‘mirror time’ stays with you and transfers into more motivation and training time…..then it’s probably harmless and good! I don’t mind admitting in a non-judgmental way I wish more people would care how they look and present themselves. It would lead to a more healthy lifestyle.

Coach Mel
    Keymaster

True Shane. I come to work with a bit of makeup, clean, fresh clothes, and hair attended to everyday. I train and train my members and am sweaty by the noon hour so “why would I even bother?” some ask me. Because I represent SEALFIT not “sweatpants wearing moms of America” when I am at work and I don’t take that for granted. After I workout, I touch myself up and carry on til Sweat pants mom gets home and cooks dinner:)

Zeeshan Mahmud
    Participant

Tao loves obscurity

Zeeshan Mahmud
    Participant

My 2 cents:

‘I don’t consider myself a particularly vain person.’ itself is vanity.

It is much better to be motivated by the carrot of pursuit of excellence than by the stick of self-abusive ‘nothing is good enough mentality’. I understand SEAL creed is “The only easy day was yesterday” yet at the same time our men and women in uniform takes great pride in doing their duties.

Constantly setting up for failure is self-abusive. The key is to take great pride in one’s accomplishments without being complacent.

A Taoist loves what she does. That is why she does nothing, yet leaves nothing undone.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.