Mental Toughness – Get Unbeatable!

Breaking Bad Habbits

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Any thoughts or ideas on breaking bad habbits. One major fault I have is a tendency to have a few too many beers which causes me to miss training more frequently than I would like to admit. I find this a very tough one to break.

Thanks

Do you train with a team? Team keeps you accountable.

Next time you miss a workout due to a hangover, 250 Burpees

SEALFIT Online
    Keymaster

Good advice from Coach Will. Also, establish your “why” and check in with it every morning. That will help keep you in check.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

This might sound a little stupid, but… try scheduling your workouts in the PM. You will not miss them from sleeping in late, and you will likely drink less because you will be working out.

Just don’t starting drinking in the morning to replace drinking at night and you will be all set!

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

I have a bad habit! I check my phone every 5 minutes. If 5 minutes goes by and I don’t check it, I get anxious. Its completely ridiculous, because nothing new happens every 5 minutes on my phone. I wake up in the middle of night sometimes to check it. I feel stupid but I am acting like an addict with it. I use it for work as well.

I have seen Mark’s advice about replacing your current bad habit with a new, good habit, instead of beating yourself up about doing the bad habit. Any suggestions of something I can replace this with? Or maybe just other advice on how to break it.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

There is a book I bought recently called The Power of Habit – why we do what we do and how to change. Author is Charles Duhigg. Some interesting material and simple little model to use around analysing the habit, reward and cue which triggers it. Essentially you need a way to break the loop between the cue and reward. Too complex for a brief post unfortunately.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

I’ll check the book out. I’ve got a few others that I would like to alter, like not being able to get it of bed for AM training!

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

It is true, training in the evening is better if you have a tendency to drink. You can reward yourself with a beer after. I take some melatonin after the workout and it puts you to sleep faster

Coach Mel
    Keymaster

Hi Luis,

That is not a cut and dry situation. What I do know is that you do not want to drink or exercise at least an hour before bed. I also take melatonin if I have an issue with sleep but only on a second night. I try not to mess with mother nature as much as possible. n the other hand,I have read a few articles that support better results from 3-5 pm workouts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.