Kokoro Communication Center

Starting to Ruck

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brett Risser
    Participant

Hello, I am a total newbie when it comes to rucking! I just ordered my pack and two 20# weights and will look to start adding it immediately into my training for Kokoro 47 in October.

I have a pretty good fitness background — which no doubt I will be looking to improve for Kokoro! — for example, I recently completed the Spartan Beast race in Killington VT in just over five hours (16 miles, 10k cumulative ascent) & can meet the P/S/P standards too.

Given my fitness background, what weight would you recommend for a ruck session that focus on active recovery and a session that is more geared to LSD work?

Also, should I focus on just fast walking during a ruck or jogging it out?

Thanks! Brett

Coach Mel
    Keymaster

Hi Bret,

Great prep so far. Typically during camp we ruck with 20lbs in our packs PLUS an additional 10- 15 lbs of gear. I would practice interval jogs with weight as you will be asked to be quick particularly on descents.

I hope this information helps you out.

Todd Wellington
    Participant

Awesome. See you at Camp Brett. I myself have started 5.5 mile hikes with lots of variations in grades. I eventually be adding in ruck weight. Since Camp will be 20lbs plus gear i might work with 30#

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.