SEALFIT ASPIRATIONS

Forums Physical Training SEALFIT ASPIRATIONS

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Hi all.

My name is Matt and I’m writing from Tasmania, Australia.

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of the group.

I’ve got some rookie questions that I was hoping to get some pointers on. I stumbled across SEALFIT via some google searches, and since then have been collecting and devouring all of Mark Divine’s books (which so far have been excellent, thanks Mark).

I’m keen to start SEALFIT, but am wondering how practical it is right now due to:

– not having any of the required equipment apart from pull up bar/ dip station (I could purchase some, but to get the complete list will take a while) and I don’t want to train at the gyms nearby (rather purchase own gear)

-I’ve got a marathon that I’m training for in November. I know SEALFIT has the endurance component, but assume that that by itself wouldn’t be enough for a marathon.

I’ve got ‘8 weeks to SEALFIT’ in the mail, and hopefully that’ll be useful in terms of where to go – but if anyone has some advice as to the best place for me to start, that’d be much appreciated.
    Hopefully there’ll be a way to get around the lack of equipment – if not, I guess I could pick the least needed body part and start auctioning until I have the funds…

Wasn’t sure if this belonged in the grinder or not – apologies if it’s the wrong category.

Thanks guys.

Regards,

Matt.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Have you tried asking the admin for advice using the pm? I would think that you could sub the endurance portion for the marathon train up, but ask the admin they know their program better than I.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Thanks mate. The substitution is a good idea. You’ll have to excuse my ignorance, but what is the ‘pm’?

Ta.

Matt.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

pm = private message

Happy trails

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Thanks James.
    Got it. I’m not on FaceBook so still getting familiar with lingo and how on-line forums work.

Regards,

Matt.

Matt.

SEALFIT can be done with minimal equipment you just have to get creative. It’s all functional movement. As for the marathon portion. SEALFIT will improve your mental toughness and train you to slog through the darkest moments of a marathon. But you will still have to train specifically for the marathon itself. Recently, a SEALFIT coach ran the Boston Marathon. He utilized his training to overcome those dark moments and beat his goal of under 4 hours. Hope this helps!

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Thanks Coach Will – greatly appreciated. I’ll get cranking on creativity front.
    Would you suggest substituting the marathon specific training for the endurance components of the WOD?

Thanks mate.

Regards,

Matt.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Hi Matt, I also live in Australia but way up in the sunshine state. There are a lot of videos on youtube on how to create you own gym equipment which might be of benefit. I read a lot of books on the old time strong men and most of them started with making their own equipment like creating dumbbell from bricks and other odd things lying around. I am just reading the kindle book Rock, iron Steel by Steve Justa and he has made use of every day thing to get super strong (just google Steve Justa and look at the photos). Other places that may be a good resource for alternate equipment is recycling centres (I scored a large water barrel for $30 which allows me to vary the weight with water)and landscaping places where I picked up a 70kg rock for $15). My advice, if you get creative with equipment, make sure safe and not complicated in its use. Hope this adds some value.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

thanks Christian – much appreciated and nice to know that there’s a fellow Aussie here (I’m guessing there must be a few of us?) I’ll give Steve Justa a look. I’ve also seen good things at http://www.rosstraining.com for home made and creative alternatives.

thanks again.

Regards,

Matt.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Hi Matt, thanks for the link to rosstraining.com, it looks like a good resource for ideas:)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.