Rucking

Forums Special Ops Prep Rucking

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

After a hard fought battle with a nasty surgical procedure, I’m finally in the process of joining the Navy. I’m trying to get all of my bases covered as far as water/land go, but I haven’t much experience with rucking. Any tips for distances, loads, times? I’ve been following Sealfit now since 2011; with about a year break due to surgery. I’ve been in and out of the old forums, and I’m excited to get back into the swing of things on here.

John,

20 – 25 lbs to start. We suggest 4-8 miles 2 times a week. Follow up with Yoga Mobility or Grinder PT. The idea behind rucking is getting your body used to carrying a load of long distances. You can use a ruck with weight or a weight vest.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Coach Will,

Thank you for your input. We have a lake trail here in town that is 7.5 miles through the woods. Went through it the other night and it seems like a pretty good location for a ruck. I will continue to add these in on top of regular training.

Respectfully,
    John

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Good advice. I’m new to rucking too and was wondering the same thing.

Do I need boots to ruck, or will my normal running shoes be ok?

Boots are ideal, more ankle support, better traction etc.

Especially in rough terrain.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Does anyone knows what are good rain clothing to wear for rucking?

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

If you’re in open terrain I would say a poncho and a pair of gore-tex trousers(or similar).

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Do we just follow up the normal WOD with rucking as a second workout? Im doing the onramp WODs

Coach Mel
    Keymaster

You can with a short Ruck, many of the OPWODS will program a 2-5 mile LSD Ruck and if you’re ready with the on-ramp, by all means Ruck a few miles. Often we Ruck on Weekends when we have a bit more time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.