Pull-ups?

Forums Physical Training Pull-ups?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Hi all. I can knock out 50 strict pushups and 50 crunches, but can’t seem to do even one pull-up. What exercises/stretches can I do to get where I can do the pull-ups called for in SealFit?

Get a band and do banded pull ups.

SEALFIT Online
    Keymaster

Marty,
    You can also do a progression for pull-ups with the band and then without the band. The progressions is as follows and can be used for any gymnastics movement including Handstand Push-Ups, Muscle-Ups, Dips, etc.

Day 1: 1-1-1-1-1
    Day 2: 2-1-1-1-1
    Day 3: 3-2-1-1-1
    Day 4: 4-3-2-1-1
    Day 5: 5-4-3-2-1
    Day 6: 5-5-4-3-2
    Day 7: 5-5-5-4-3
    Day 8: 5-5-5-5-4
    Day 9: 5-5-5-5-5

Do not progress to the next day until you get each set unbroken. For instance on Day 6, let’s say you get the two sets of 5 unbroken, but can only manage 3 instead of 4 on the third set, finish out the sets for that day and then try it again the next day.

Days don’t need to be consecutive but can be. Add this progression to your normal programming to improve at any gymnastics movement.

If you want to build more strength, keep building the pyramid i.e.

Day 10: 6-5-5-5-5
    Day 11: 7-6-5-5-5
    etc…

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Thanks to both of you, great tips I will start using tonight!

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

If you have the ability, jumping pull-ups are a good start because as you progress to be able to do a strict pull up you can limit the amount of your jump.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

On the pull-up movement when doing a “Murph”, what is the correct style to use? I see so many videos of people doing the challenge, yet using either a kipping or butterfly style, which I think is incorrect. I have serious doubts as to how many people can execute the 100 pull-ups if done strict. I am absolutely WASTED at 50, but can still complete the other two elements (push-ups, squats), and the run of course.

If strict pull-ups are the standard, why do so many boxes/gyms not mandate such? For the Kokoro, do the participants have to execute strict only, or will kipping be accepted?

This question goes further; to do the 1,000 pull-up challenge, again, is that with strict/deadhang pull-ups?

Here is a perfect example of what I see so much of- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp7-5gbtfOY

and another link for all three styles- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifOBltCCRZw

Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

At SEALFIT most athletes do kipping or Butterfly Pullups when doing Murph.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

I believe with SEALFIT, all pull-ups are to be strict pull-ups unless otherwise stated. My source is this week’s video on injury prevention.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.