EXTREME Shin Splints

Forums Mobility and Recovery EXTREME Shin Splints

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Hey everyone, been having a bit of a problem with shin splints recently. Ive been out of running for about 4 weeks because of them and last week I went to the doctor because I honestly though something was wrong, like having a stress fracture. They took xrays and said no, it was probably just highly inflamed tendons in my legs. She prescribed me anti-inflammatory steroids and basically said ice it and stay off it for a while, if it continues to be problem we will go from there.

Any of the coaches (or anybody really) have any advice on this? I really want to get back to running but it’s still a little painful to even walk. How long can it take for shin splints to get better?

Thanks for help in advance.

Coach Mel
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

I would start by getting into a stretching regime. Warrior Yoga is very important to your physical and mental state. If you are not thoroughly warmed up prior to running your shin splints will only get worse. It also sounds like your running style needs adjusting. I would recommend that you go on through our content videos and check out Coach Jeff’s running videos. The Pose method is what I recommend and what we practice here at HQ. Sounds like you probably have a pretty good heal strike going on in your stride. Work on correcting your running technique and starting on short runs for a few months.

Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

Thanks for your help Coach Mel. My leg has been feeling tremendously better lately, still not running to ensure a full recovery first but I can at least walk without any pain.

Is it okay to run when it hurts or is that a basic red flag?

Coach Mel
    Keymaster

Yes stay off it and row!No box jumps, rope jumps, or anything impacting for a bit. do step ups. Go for short 1 mile runs in the pose method Ryan. Keep me updated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.