Best Way to Prepare for BUD/S?

Forums Special Ops Prep Best Way to Prepare for BUD/S?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Richard Vernetti
    Keymaster

I’m a 17 year old in high school and I have been preparing to enter BUD/S for about a year now. I’m planning on going into the Navy right out of high school so I can get to BUD/S at a younger age. I seem to be confused, though, about how to balance weightlifting with calisthenics, running, and swimming. I’m a slim build and my weakest points are my shoulders and legs. What is the best way for me to prepare to not only pass BUD/S, but to excel in it? I don’t want to just “scrape by”. Thanks!

Coach Mel
    Keymaster

You should be doing the SOF wods at least 3 times a week .

Brooks Patrick
    Participant

I am enlisting hopefully next week. I am starting later in life (just turned 27) but in incredible shape. I lift over 400 lbs just in bench. I know that BUDS is a lot of mental prep. What are things I should be doing now to mentally prep? I am not worried about the physical aspect. My wife said she is just going to start yelling at me during my training cycles haha. Tips? I am physically training 5 times a week. My current stats are: bench 415 lb, deadlift 530 lb, squats 515 lb. My wife is also requiring me to hold a 100 lb dumbbell over my head for a minute in case there are people on my team at BUDS that need the extra support.

Coach Mel
    Keymaster

HI Brooks,

The lifting is great but running and swimming are way better. You will need to be putting in serious hours a day doing these 2 things. Have you considered coming out to our KOKORO camp. The cost is a drop in the bucket compared to enlisting and potentially not making it through BUDs. We have close to 100% success rate of our campers making it to Buds after completion of our camp. This camp also shines a magnifying glass on the holes in your training.

Let me know what your cardio and endurance picture looks like. We require that you are able to run a 1/2 Marathon in under 2 hours for this camp. Can you do that? For a SEAL Candidate you should be closer to 1:45.

I hope this helps.

Let me know how I can help.

Coach Mel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.