How do you know you need to rest?

Forums Mobility and Recovery How do you know you need to rest?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Shawn Steggink 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Therese Namu
    Participant

Hi folks! I’m new to the program, me and my man have done 2 weeks of bootcamp and it’s quite amazing! I have a question though about pushing yourself. When do you know you need to rest? Cause even though I consider myself quite fit (we’re doing kickboxing 3 times/week) I’ve never really pushed myself but always taken a rest at the first sign of being tired. Now, however, I’ve decided to see how far I can go (part of accepting the Seal-mentality!). This week has been tough, I was really tired after tuesday’s sealfit workout, then we did 2 hours really hard kickboxing in the evening and today,thursday, we’ve done both the sealfit workout in the morning and then 3 hours of kickboxing class. I’m not injured, I’m not stiff a la robocop (although I’m sore), I’m just generally tired in my body. And this evening’s kickboxing was hard, I was on the verge of breaking down and literally starting to cry during the class because I felt so exhausted and in the car afterwards I actually did start to cry. But, here’s the thing. I can intellectually understand I’m not on the verge of being exhausted or “dying”. I’ve been fueling myself with chicken for days, had some good nights’ rest, I don’t have a stressful lifestyle and I’ve worked hard for only 4 days. So, my body should be able to keep going for a lot longer before it actually starts to take damage.
    So, 1) why do I feel like breaking down and cry? It didn’t feel like my mind was making a drama story on the training, and the crying didn’t come from feeling sorry for myself (as far as I can see).
    And 2) how do you know you need to actually take a rest? Because, as I said, I can see that I’m not actually on the verge of being exhausted or taking damage, I could physically go on for much longer (I mean, my four days have been far from the Seal’s Hell week which people do, and survive!). So if my body is capable of so much more than I believe, how and when do I know I need to rest? My old parameters of “knowing” that I need to take a rest (because I feel a bit tired) aren’t actually valid, so what parameters are? How do I know I need to rest and recover?

Shawn Steggink
    Participant

I’d be interested to hear what others have to say about this since I also struggle with knowing when to take a break or get extended rest.

My guess would be to follow the OPWOD structure of two days on, one active recovery, 2 more days on, then at least 1 more day of active recovery, regardless of if you feel you need it. That, never work through pain, and probably take a full week off every now and then.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.